10 Most Inspirational People (Part Two)
Many of those who we recognize as being incredibly inspirational are people who faced adversity and weren’t willing to give up without a fight. There are times when we all need to speak up for what we believe in, and many times our fear stops up. It can be absolutely terrifying to stand up and speak out against something you think is wrong, especially if there is a heavy opposition- but by doing this we are often standing up for someone else, and maybe becoming their inspiration. Here is the continued list of the 10 most inspirational people who I hope will inspire you…
- Martin Luther King Jr. – was a minister,humanitarian, activist, and leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement in the US. Martin Luther King Jr. is best known for his partin the advancement of civil rights by use of nonviolent civil disobedience based on his Christian beliefs. His fight for social justice and equality has made an impact on lives around the world.
- Terry Fox – was a Canadian humanitarian, athlete, and cancer research activist. At the age of 18,Fox lost his leg to cancer and he decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. He ran 143 days and 5,373kilometers(3,339 miles), when he had to stop because his cancer had returned, this time in his lungs. Now on every second Sunday after Labor Day, is the Terry Fox Run (which is done across Canada) which commemorates when Fox had to to stop running and when Canadians had to start. This run is still to raise money for cancer research, and public schools across Canada do it on a school day to honor Terry Fox.
- The Dalai Lama – 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, is a spiritual teacher who began his monastic education at the age of six. In 1959, with the brutal suppression of the Tibetan national uprising by Chinese troops, the Dalai Lama was forced to escape into exile. The Dalai Lama has maintained a loving and forgiving attitude and has spoken for a peaceful resolution of the conflict.What makes the Dalai Lama so inspirational are his words of wisdom, peace, and love that he has and continues to share around the world.I would like to share with you two of my favorite quotes from the Dalai Lama that I find truly inspiring:
“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” – the Dalai Lama
“Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.”– theDalai Lama
- Anne Frank – was a Jewish diarist and writer, and as a young girl with her family was a victim of the Holocaust. In 1942 Anne and her family went into hiding in a secret annex. In 1944 Anne’s family was discovered and arrested by Nazi police. After being sent to Auschwitz concentration camp, Anne and her sister Margot were transported to Bergen-Belsenconcentration camp where they died (their mother died in Auschwitz).
What makes Anne and her diary so absolutely unique and inspirational is the way she shared her innermost thoughts and feelings with a sense of optimism and compassion despite the cruel adversity that she and her family were enduring, and despite evil that surrounded her and had had affected many of her family and friends.Anne Frank is remembered for her courage and hope, qualities that we should all have…
“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” – Anne Frank
- Mother Teresa – was a Roman Catholic religious sister who lived a life of love, kindness, sacrifice and dedication to social responsibility. Mother Teresa was a dedicated humanitarian who worked advocate for the poor. Mother Teresa founded a religious order called the Missionaries of Charity that providedfood for the poor in addition to operating schools, hospitals, orphanages, youth centers, and shelters for lepers, the sick, and the dying poor. Mother Teresa’s work made a huge difference in many people’s lives across the world. Her work, mercy, and love continues and her memory lives on through her inspirational work.
All of the people on this list have done extraordinary things, whether it was intentional or not. Through acts of courage, hope, love and kindness they have inspired millions of people worldwide. You too can inspire other. Simply by caring about others we inspire others to care, by being positive we have a positive impact on people’s lives, by standing up for what we believe in we are standing up for others. So I leave you with one question, what can you do to inspire?